The Makerspace Coordinator is a dynamic and inspirational individual who will take an active role in growing the ITC and making it a sustainable program. This will include coordination of programs and events at the Makerspace, with a comprehensive understanding of all tools, machinery, and safety protocols. Will be recruiting, scheduling, training, and coordination of volunteers and student workers, and evaluating the space usage and the program effectiveness on an ongoing basis for continuous improvement. Will assist with writing proposals and progress reports for grants and expanded programs. This position reports to the Innovative Technologies Center (ITC) Director.
- Shape, develop, and propose workshops, events, and new program elements; plan, organize, and promote programs and events; evaluate outcomes for future planning.
- Work with faculty administrators and Makerspace advisory committee regarding Makerspace operations, financials, improvements, and challenges.
- Ensure best practices in the makerspace lab; foster an interdisciplinary learning environment and a culture of critical making and innovation.
- Assist the NPC students, faculty, and other users with project design.
- Track and document learning and teaching activities, projects, and course-related Makerspace usage for reports and future promotion/outreach.
- Schedule and provide tours for classes and administrators; manage the tour schedule and contacts; train and assign part-time or student workers for tours as appropriate.
- Provide content and schedules to Education Programs Coordinator in order to maintain the relevant web pages and social media channels for the ITC Makerspace.
- Responsible for properly operating equipment and creating instructions for users.
- Train ITC staff and student workers in diagnosing issues, troubleshooting, and repairing the equipment.
- Stay familiar and up-to-date with the most common software used in the makerspace and facilitate equipment/software changes. Coordinate and maintain software licenses.
- Maintain the current and future equipment in the ITC makerspace in good working order including 3D printers, VR (Virtual Reality) systems, laser cutter, CNC router and other equipment (new equipment may be added as the space grows and users’ needs evolve); contact vendors regarding maintenance contracts and complex repair/troubleshooting to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Create and maintain safety policies and ensure compliance with safety standards including hazardous material reporting.
- Coordinate Makerspace instructors and student workers; create the staffing schedule for the ITC Makerspace.
- Perform general planning for the budget, resources, and future operations of the Makerspace; keep track of the use of supplies; order parts and consumables; keep track of all purchasing paperwork.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree. Experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with technology in an educational setting.
- Will demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of makerspace-related technologies.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies and to effectively assist others in learning them
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and with minimal supervision
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups/populations
- Budgeting experience
- Work experience in a makerspace or a lab setting
- Experience working with students
- Experience in program development, and management
- Experience with assessment and evaluation
- Ability to interpret and apply institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules, and regulations and to communicate that to others
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com. Applications received by October 25, 2019, will be assured consideration, but the position will remain open until filled. AA/EOE