The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council (DEIC) at National Park College (NPC) provides leadership to continually transform the campus into a more representative, inclusive, and equitable community of learners.
The DEIC at NPC provides leadership to fulfill the goals of the College's strategic plan regarding diversity, which are celebrating diversity amongst students, staff, and faculty, as well as identifying and eliminating institutional barriers to cultural diversity. The council will achieve this by:
- Promoting cross-cultural understanding, communication, and cultural competence among employees and students.
- Gathering, analyzing, and monitoring relevant information and data concerning diversity and inclusion at NPC and to set specific goals and objectives for achieving and enhancing diversity awareness, cross-cultural understanding, and support of underrepresented groups and to adjust those goals and objectives as needed.
- Recognizing excellence in diversity education, awareness and promotion on campus.
- Facilitating timely communications, when necessary, about issues adversely affecting students, faculty, and administrators of underrepresented populations.
Diversity:the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical values system, national origin, and political beliefs.
Equity:the fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all people, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups.
Inclusion:actively creating an atmosphere where all individuals feel safe, supported, represented, and valued to fully participate.
We do not consider the previous definitions to be static. This section is to clarify our current understanding of these concepts so that we can move forward in a unified direction
- Increase recruitment of students, faculty and from historically marginalized groups.
- Increase resources and support for students, faculty and staff from historically marginalized groups.
- Increase accessibility of campus spaces, resources and programs for those with disabilities.
- Create clear responsibilities/expectations for work toward diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Increase cultural competencies and skills among students, faculty and staff.
- Partner with the Hot Springs community.
- Organize and resource diversity, equity and inclusion work to enable consistent oversight, leadership and assessment.
- Develop and implement regular assessments of progress toward goals.
- Establish and maintain transparency by communicating effectively and regularly with the community about actions and progress.